Monday, June 11, 2012

The Scots-Irish in Appalachia

This summer, I have the privilege of taking a class that focuses completely on the history of the Scots-Irish that settled the region of Appalachia where I now live. Having moved here from the Midwest almost six years ago, I have always been curious about the history of my new home. Knowing also that my family is of Irish (among other things) descent, I was more than excited to sign up for the class when I found out that it was being offered.

One of the first assignments our class received was to go around the area and take pictures of  various sites that capture the history of this area and of the Scots-Irish that originally settled here. I can tell that this assignment will be my favorite - I have already visited Bristol, VA and Abingdon, VA in the week since the class began, and I have been planning many additional forays into the field over the days and weeks to come.

I thought that I would share the pictures that I have taken so far, along with any pertinent information that will help explain them. I also solemnly promise to attempt to keep current with my travels as the summer proceeds. Fingers crossed!



Bristol - A City in Two States (Tennessee & Virginia)
Date of Visit: 6-5-12

I have been to Bristol many times during the five years that I taught there (on the Virginia side). During that time, I have been lucky enough to explore some of the local historical sites, but the list is far from finished, and after last Tuesday's trip, I find that it just keeps growing.

Tuesday, I made it a point to get pictures of two area historical sites which I have not yet had the chance to photograph.

Site #1 - Emmanuel Episcopal Church
Bristol, VA


According to the website for this beautiful church, "Emmanuel Episcopal Church was founded in 1862 in Bristol, Virginia. Our current church was built in 1921 and is a replica of the 13th-century Church of St. James the Lesser in Sulgrave, England (the anscestral home of George Washington). Our Parish House was constructed in 1960." (NOTE: The preceding information was a direct quote from the Emmanuel Episcopal Church website, so please excuse the misspelling of ancestral as it appears above.)




Though the church is Episcopalian, and not Presbyterian or Catholic - the two predominant denominations of the Irish and Scottish settlers to this region, I thought it fitting to add these pictures to this collection because not only do they represent the rich history of this area, but they also represent the religious freedom that was enjoyed (in many cases, for the very first time) by immigrants to the United States.

Bristol, VA


The original Bristol Train Station was built in 1865 - 100 years after General Evan Shelby established the first settlement, which he named Sapling Grove, at the site that would later become the City of Bristol. The current station (pictured above) was completed in 1902 on the same site. 


It is interesting to note that the first settler of the area now known as Bristol, Evan Shelby, was of Welsh descent, and not one of the many Scots-Irish settlers for which this region is so well known. Later, however, Colonel James King of Ireland purchased Shelby's lands and began developing the settlement that would continue to bear the stamp of his family from that day to this.

I would like to make another trip to Bristol in the near future to photograph additional sites of interest, but for those of you who don't want to wait for this, please take a few minutes and visit the website for the Bristol Chamber of Commerce - it offers tons of great information regarding the history of this beautiful town! 

Until later - happy exploring!


2 comments:

  1. Awesome! Have you looked up anything about the Over-Mountain men? I don't know much, but I know there's a lot of resources about them, but I'm not sure if any of them were Scots-Irish. There's a plaque about it behind the Pizza Inn in Abingdon. I'm adding you to my blog roll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't looked at anything about the Over-Mountain men - I'm not even sure I've heard of them before. I am adding them to my ever-growing list - thanks so much for the suggestion! :o) Thanks, too, for adding me to your blog roll! I'll try to keep things interesting, but feel free to yell at me if I don't!

    ReplyDelete