Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Ghosts of Abingdon - Part II

Okay, there were far too many places to share last time, so I decided to end at the cemetery. Today, we'll pick up our tour again on Main Street. The first place I stopped was the Fields-Penn house.


Like many of the homes on Main Street, this house was built in the Federal or Georgian style. Not exactly a pioneer's cabin, but it shows how much things can change in 100 or so years!


Note: Federal style architecture was a spin-off of Georgian architecture and was created by three Scottish brothers of the name Adams.


I love the details of the window, and the idea of shutters that actually, well, shutter! The green of the shutters is a very classic early American color - I wonder if they are the color they were painted originally?


This lawn decor was not around in the 1860s, but I do love it. :o)


The back garden. The water pump was so cool that I had to take a closer shot. It looked a little art deco to me, so it makes me wonder if it was a later addition to the property.


More Georgian/Federal/Adams-style buildings on Main Street.









This little building seemed strangely out of place, sandwiched among the others as it was. The style was completely different as well. Its features seem to belong to the Victorian Gothic Revival style of architecture which was popular from the 1840s to the 1860s.





Nearby was this rather forlorn Victorian home. The thing that drew me to this site was what I saw out front. 


The wolf is actually what caught my eye. It seemed like an odd lawn ornament choice, especially for a home that was in such terrible disrepair, so of course I had to go and check it out. Especially since this was not the first wolf statue that I had noticed around town.


It turned out that this particular wolf stood beside an even more interesting marker and plaque.



Unfortunately, the lot itself was closed for construction so I couldn't go back there and snoop around for the cave.


And then turning to see what was across the street, I noticed the The Tavern.


The Tavern was built in 1779, and according to the website, has hosted several famous personages, among them: Henry Clay, Louis Philippe - King of France, President Andrew Jackson, and Pierre Charles L'Enfant, the designer of Washington D.C.


I love how the moss and weeds grow on the roof - at the height of summer, they reach over a foot in height. Looks like something from an old European town.


This next bit entails a bit of a detour along our route, but it's for a good reason. Promise. :o) The upper left picture was taken at the corner of Pecan and Main. The upper right picture I stumbled upon walking down the street from the Daniel Boone Wolf Cave toward the center of town.


The present-day courthouse may not sport recycled materials from an old fort, but it does boast an authentic Tiffany stained-glass window.




In 1907, this Civil War monument was dedicated on the courthouse grounds.






My final stop on Main Street was the Barter Theatre. The Barter Theatre is unique in that when it was opened in 1933, all you needed to get in was some produce that you were willing to part with in exchange for a ticket. 


After my trip downtown, I headed out to the county along White's Mill Road. After nearly turning around several times quite convinced that I had missed it, I finally found what I was looking for - the place for which the road was named - White's Mill!



The mill, first put into operation in 1790, is in a bit of disrepair currently, but thanks to a grant from the Tobacco Commission, the White's Mill Foundation hopes to begin renovations this year.




I believe that this was the miller's home. It is located directly across the street from the mill. It is a log structure that appears to be covered in asbestos siding.


The Mercantile sits at the crossroads just down from the mill and is run by volunteers from the White's Mill Foundation. They sell many different products from local growers and artisans. The volunteer that was working the day I visited was exceptionally helpful and chatty to boot. After I emerged from my perusal of the back rooms of the store, she asked me if I had encountered their ghost. I told her that I hadn't, and she said it was surprising as the ghost was always wreaking havoc in the store. Apparently the ghosts of Abingdon have extended their territory! :o)


And that's all for now, folks! Happy exploring!




No comments:

Post a Comment